Today, it is a well known that culture lasts for centuries and also helps communities to attract people.
Indeed, Opera is not new to Nanaimo. It made its way to Nanaimo well over a century ago when prominent Nanaimo businessman, brewmaster and city councillor, John Mayhrer, proposed the idea, and it was agreed to.
The building was designed by a well known Victoria architect, William Ridgway Wilson. Mayhrer built it. Its doors were opened on Church Street on a brisk fall day in November,1889. From all reports, it had an immediate and positive impact on the whole community.
Considered grand and sophisticated for its time, the three-storey building housed a hotel on the upper two ﬂoors with a showpiece theatre at ground level below. It featured a mirrored rotunda, an 800-seat auditorium, royal boxes, red and gold-laced curtains, galleries, and a modern orchestra pit, many of which were considered unusual at the time.
For many years, the Opera House served as an performance elegant venue for many prominent and successful local and touring musicians, actors, poets, artists, and vaudeville performers and was also used for community events.
Local poet, writer, and artist Pauline Johnson, for example, read poetry to assembled audiences there and incorporated into her performances notes from her father’s Aboriginal (Mohawk) and her mother’s English backgrounds. One of Nanaimo’s ﬁrst picture shows was also shown there, too: a series of over 10,000 animated images of Edward VII being crowned King on August 9, 1902 in London, England.
Sadly ﬁre destroyed the building, and it was never rebuilt. The impressive structure stood near where the Dorchester Hotel is located today.